win9x user level security

Joker Ewan uy_san at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 16 09:07:03 GMT 2001

--- "Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Joker Ewan wrote:
>
> > i'm not sure if this is the right list to send my
> > question but anyway...
> >
> > I have a win98 and winnt server residing on same
> > domain. I've set win98 as user-level sharing
> getting
> > the list of users from winnt server. Then, I tried
>       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > accessing a win98 shared folder from a win2k
> residing
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > on a different domain. A window will popup then
> for
> > asking me to input a username and password.  I've
> > tried inputting only username (with domain) and
> password and
> > I was able to login to win98 and see the shared
> > folders.  But when I tried to access the shared
> > folder, it returns access denied.  Then, I've
> tried inputting
> > <domain>\<username> format on the popup window
> instead
> > where the <domain> is same as that of winnt.  I
> was
> > then able to access the win98 shared folder.  Does
> > anyone have an idea why?  I'd like to access the
> win98
> > shared folder just by giving only username without
> > specifying the domain.  Is this not possible?  Are
> > there settings need to be changed on win98 or
> winnt or
> > win2k?
>
> Vicent,
>
> What does this have to do with Samba development?
>

> cheers, jerry

This also happens with smbclient, it was able to login
just by giving username but was unable to see the list
of subfolders inside the shared folder.
But when I add the -W option and set the workgroup
same as the domain of winnt & win98, smbclient was
then able to see the list.
May be you have an idea why?

Thanks,
Vincent