NetUserModalsGet call to samba 2.2.2 fails

Tyler, Ross E retyler at raytheon.com
Thu Nov 15 14:00:07 GMT 2001

i think these netmon capture files will be more helpful than my last ones.

they are the (proper) (_samr_query_dom_info 5 equivalent) responses from
microsoft windows machines.
there is a single packet (response) in each file.
the files are named for the machine:

    BCW03 - windows 2000 professional
    IRD - windows 2000 domain server for domain ird.cv.ful.us.ray.com
    ZFUAA748584 - windows NT4 workstation

if i read the samba code right, there should be a SAM_UNK_INFO_5 that
contains something like:

    uint32 unknown_0;    /* ? */
    uint32 unknown_1;    /* ? */
    uint32 unknown_2;    /* length (excluding terminator) of name + 1 ? */

    uint32 unknown_3;    /* 0 ? */
    uint32 unknown_4;    /* length (excluding terminator) of name ? */
    UNISTR2 uni_server;

there are 20 bytes of unknown_* (to me),
then a unicode string of the (machine's netbios?) name (null terminated?)
then some zeros.

so far, i have tried a zero filled

    uint8 padding[16];

for SAM_UNK_INFO_5.
my windows 2000 professional machine accepts this as an empty string for
the name.

i need your help in defining SAM_UNK_INFO_5 exactly - with a variable
length string.
how do i allocate the value for this string?
where to i get the value for this string?
is it the netbios name?
do you have any idea what unknown_0 and unknown_1 should be?
i think that unknown_2 - 4 may be part of the serialization of UNISTR2
and, so, may not be needed.
is this right?

thanks for your help - i really appreciate it!