Downgrading from 3.0 [was Re: Deleting parameters]

Jim McDonough jmcd at us.ibm.com
Tue Nov 13 06:45:16 GMT 2001

Mike Gerdts wrote:
>Perhaps introducing a search path for configuration files would be
>useful.  Samba 1.x and 2.x use smb.conf.  Samba 3 could use smb3.conf if
>found, if not smb.conf.  That could just be ugly thought.
I think a search path is dangerous.  I already deal with enough people that
use an RPM version, then build their own, don't update paths, or worse yet,
mix their old and new configurations.  Adding more places it could be might
confuse it.  Having the multiple names as a step less dangerous, but still
seems like it might be a problem.

>Better yet, just make it so that anything that mucks with a config file
>uses RCS or SCCS to keep revisions.  This includes migration tools,
>swat, etc.  If a tool finds that a file was edited without being checked
>out properly, it checks it out properly, checks in the changes, makes
>the modifications that it needs to make, then checks in its own changes.
I'd rather not pre-req another piece of software.  THere are enough
platforms that don't have RCS or SCCS.

I think saving off the old one (but giving it an unmistakable name, like
smb.conf.samba-2.2.saved, just as an example) is a great idea.  You don't
really want the nightmares of a bi-directional conversion...yes, there are
people out there that will think they can configure a 3.0 system with its
new features, convert it back to 2.2 format and run the old code.  THere
are a lot of them, unfortunately.

----------------------------
Jim McDonough
IBM Linux Technology Center
Samba Team
6 Minuteman Drive
Scarborough, ME 04074
USA

jmcd at us.ibm.com
jmcd at samba.org

Phone: (207) 885-5565
IBM tie-line: 776-9984

Mike Gerdts <Michael.Gerdts at usa.alcatel.com>@lists.samba.org on 11/13/2001
09:27:49 AM

Sent by:  samba-technical-admin at lists.samba.org

To:   "Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org>
      <samba-technical at lists.samba.org>
Subject:  Re: Downgrading from 3.0 [was Re: Deleting parameters]

On Tue, 2001-11-13 at 09:13, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Jeremy and I were talking yesterday and he brought u9p a really good
> point.  Not only must there be a migration path from 2.2. to 3.0, but
> there also must be a means of downgrading to 2.2 **from** 3.0.
>
> If 2.2.0 showed uus anything is was that people try xx.0 release and back
> down if things don't work correctly.  This downgrade path may be just to
> save a copy of the pre-converted smb.conf.  Just pointing it out that the
> path must be bi-directional.

Perhaps introducing a search path for configuration files would be
useful.  Samba 1.x and 2.x use smb.conf.  Samba 3 could use smb3.conf if
found, if not smb.conf.  That could just be ugly thought.

Better yet, just make it so that anything that mucks with a config file
uses RCS or SCCS to keep revisions.  This includes migration tools,
swat, etc.  If a tool finds that a file was edited without being checked
out properly, it checks it out properly, checks in the changes, makes
the modifications that it needs to make, then checks in its own changes.

Both ideas suck in some cases, but I for some reason felt the need to
throw them out there.

Mike