"make check" for samba

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Tue Nov 13 02:34:02 GMT 2001

I'm working on adding "make installcheck" and "make check" targets to
Samba, which will run the buildfarm test suite on your local machine.
The tests will be run by a framework that is not Samba-specific and
that could be applied to other programs such as rsync.

My understanding is that the current tree has two mutually
incompatible sets of tests: one for the build farm and one for
DejaGNU.  Tim tells me that the DejaGNU suite depends on an unreleased
version of the dejagnu framework, and that tridge would rather not
depend on this because many machines do not have expect or Tcl.  In
addition, most testing of samba functionality does not really require
the interactive or cross-platform testing that expect/dejagnu
provides.

So I am planning to just work from the buildfarm script; make it work
locally and not samba-specific, and also port tim's expect scripts
across to sh.

Any objections to checking this in to head in a way that doesn't break
existing targets?

--
Martin