That troublemaker again (replace domain logons =, domain master=)

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Mon Nov 12 07:58:03 GMT 2001

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Simo Sorce wrote:

> > I disagree.  It is simply an alternative representation.  Why not
> > simply have documentation which presents this chart?  Removing
> > the "security" parameter will break all existing
> > documentation, configuration files, and third party tools.
> > Not to mention making sysadmins relearn how to configure Samba.
> >
> > For what?  A chart that may or may not be clearer to admins?
> > The payoff is debateable and not big enough.
> >

> i do not want to have a flame, if it was for me I would have

A flame?  That was certainly not my intention.  Sorry friend if it came of
like that. :-)

> maintained all synoms and added this parameters without removing the
> others. redundancy? yes. i have no problems at all in having more than
> a name for an option, but seem others just dislike it.

There's no real technical reason for or against them.  Except that
it makes for a longer man page and complicates other documentation.
IMO they are silly.  But this is just my opinion ;-)

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA  Team             jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org
 http://www.hp.com        Hewlett-Packard