"add machine script" [was Re: Can I kill 'restrict anonymous'?]

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Sun Nov 11 21:58:02 GMT 2001

"Gerald (Jerry) Carter" wrote:

> Andrew B.,
>
> Since your on a "path of destruction" for the smb.conf we all know
> and love, I propose killing the "add machine script".  After all,
> it is redundant :)

Simple, reasonable paramaters.  Allow flexablity, but don't have muliple
paramaters that only produce the desired effect in combination.  Also
remove non-sensical paramaters.  (Restrict anonymous that did no such
thing).

> I mean if we don't want to "dumb down" samba, then the admin
> should be able to have a single "add user script", right?
>
> [ i know that was a quote I can attribute to you, but hey..
>   it was a chance to bring the parameter back up for a vote :) ]

Sorry, not my quote.  My 'server role' indeed makes the situation *less*
complex and does indeed 'dumb down' samba, in the way we want.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net