Can I kill 'restrict anonymous'?

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Sun Nov 11 21:45:01 GMT 2001

On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> Correct, and this is the way the code now works.  The 'guest' flag on
> the vuser (and the server_info) is only set if and only if the user
> either: a) did not provide credentials or b) was 'mapped to guest' by
> that ugly hack in the session setup code.  Both of these are purely
> anonymous as far as this is concerned.
>
> In HEAD, we no longer compare unix uids to determine 'guest' status, and
> an authenticated user with that uid is not treated as a guest.

If the auth rewrite in HEAD broke "restrict anonymous", then we need to
fix the original intended behavior or remove the parameter.  However,
in no way would I agree with replacing the intended behavior and
implementing it with a new parameter. :-)  Make sense?

Change under the hood is good, but change the interfaces a little
as possible (smb.conf in this case) and only if absolutely necessary.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA  Team             jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org
 http://www.hp.com        Hewlett-Packard