Changing security parameters

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Sun Nov 11 21:42:02 GMT 2001

On Sat, 10 Nov 2001, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> 	I've been thinking about the security parameters
> change and I don't think we can remove the "security = "
> parameter, we need to support it in legacy mode.
>
> The way we'd do this is to allow it in smb.conf, and
> then translate it internally to a setting of the new
> parameters that has exactly the same effect as it
> does now.
>
> I'm sure Dave CB will agree with me, so many people are
> familiar with the "security=" stuff that we can't just
> remove support for it, but must allow it's use into the
> forseable future as a legacy option.

One thing I just thought about is that this will pretty
much void all the existing Samba docs (printed, online, in
our cvs tree).  Is it really that big of an advantage
to remove security = [domain|server]?  Why not keep these
and add the "auth order" parameter.

I'm reviewing your original mail now.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA  Team             jerry_at_samba.org