That troublemaker again (replace domain logons =, domain master=)

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Sun Nov 11 21:13:02 GMT 2001

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> > We'll first off, the DMB does not really belong in this list.
> > It is browsing related and not authentication.
>
> This is actually coming from the other end of things.  This paramater
> doesn't concern itself with authenticaion, it is an nmbd paramater.  The
> problem I have is that nmbd is currently dependent on where *smbd* is
> checking its passwords, and it should have nothing to do with it.
>
> The crazy thing in that we don't actually have any paramters to
> determine if PDC services are available, only settings to determine if
> they are advertised.  I'm trying to remove the dependency of nmbd on
> security =, and I was told that this was the best way to do it.

Please point me to the code in nmbd you are referring (or a string
to grep for).

> Apart from the possiblity of providing sane defaults for the 'auth
> order' paramater, the idea was that it would replace 'domain master ='
> and 'domain logons = ' and allow 'security=server' and 'security=domain'
> to be removed.
>
> As far as I can tell, no functionaity is lost but the flexability of the
> new 'auth order' paramater is gained.

So PDC means we register DOMAIN<1c> and DOMAIN<1b>.  DMB means we register
DOMAIN<1b>.  BDC means ?????  I don't see how we can register only
DOMAIN<1c> and not be a BDC under your setup. Now granted I'm not
necessarily saying this is a bad thing, but am pointing out my original
question.  Please provide a table of how the new functionality maps
onto the old parameters.  I know how to configure Samba very well
in 2.2, and need you to hold my hand an articulate what advantage
a "server role" parameter has.  As well as how this affects the overhead
of configuring and managing a Samba server.

> OK, I set myself up for that one...
>
> If sombody can show a sane way to implement backward-compatablity on
> this, I'll be happy to see it.  It just seemed like it would a little
> too messy.  We will see.

I'll need to understand it more and think some.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA  Team             jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org
 http://www.hp.com        Hewlett-Packard