That troublemaker again (replace domain logons =, domain master =)

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Sun Nov 11 20:19:02 GMT 2001

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> Ok, next up on the shooting range:

I still haven't responded to the previous thread.
Is it closed already?  You people work over the weekend too much :-)

> To allow the work I am doing for plugable authentication paramaters I
> have already proposed to remove the 'server' and 'domain' options from
> security=, and to replace them with an 'auth order = ' paramater.
>
> Unfortunetly Samba is a dependency hell in this area - we make up a
> 'server role' paramater already, based on particular values of other
> paramaters.  What I am proposing to do is to change this around:
>
> Create a new 'server role = ' paramater, with possible options:
> PDC
> BDC
> DMB

We'll first off, the DMB does not really belong in this list.
It is browsing related and not authentication.

> STANDALONE
> DOMAIN MEMBER
>
> This will replace the current 'doamin logons =' and 'domain master ='
> paramaters, and remove the dependeny on 'security = ', which is where my
> actual work is.

Why did you exclude the LMB related parameters?  Although I don't think
browsing should be confused in here at all.  Could you please
explain the meaning of each server role and how that relates to
current functionality.  What can we do in 2.2. that we won't
be able to do in 3.0 and vice-versa.

> Instead I am much more inclined to a 'conversion script' arrangement.
> This is however somthing that we will need to look at over the next
> few months before release, and I am open to proposals in this area.

A conversion script is fine as long as someone will write it.
And i think that those that rework the params file significantly
should have a major role in this :-)

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA  Team             jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org