Deleting parameters.

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Nov 10 15:39:01 GMT 2001

Andrew,

Tridge and I disagree (sometimes violently :-) on the removal/changing
of parameters. My position is that once a parameter is out there in
a production release, we can't just yank it out, even in a future major
revision, as many sites just upgrade Samba and expect their existing
smb.conf to keep on working.

Andrew feels we can do anything we want (within reason of course :-)
on a major upgrade. The problem is that "within reason" is defined
in the eye of the beholder :-).

IMHO This is not a reasonable assumption :-). I'm sure Dave Collier-Brown, Jerry,
Herb, the HP-CIFS/9000 Team and anyone who has to support production Samba
systems would agree with me.

In order to retire parameters we need to migrate their intent to new
parameters on upgrade, and only after two or so major upgrades can
we delete them entirely.

This should be a lesson to scare us away from adding too many new
parameters :-) :-) :-).

Of course I'm sure tridge will disagree with this.... :-) :-).

Jeremy.