Authenticaion and 'security =' changes

Rafal Szczesniak mimir at spin.ict.pwr.wroc.pl
Sat Nov 10 07:33:11 GMT 2001

On Sat, 10 Nov 2001, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Nov 2001, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> > Jerry:  How best to document this?  I don't want to put it in the 2.2
> > doco (even with 'this is only in 3.0') because the changes are a
> > little too radical, and we will confuse users.  Any ideas?
>
> Good question.  Let me think about this.

For the first flash in my mind -- it should take form of a separate
man page regarding authentication and pointers in good old smb.conf(5)
in places where "security" parameter is mentioned. This would allow:

- to maintain/update such a man page little easier
- make it easier to read because of size (and make it easier to not to
  scare people reading it off ;-) )
- reduce (at least a little) existing smb.conf(5). It's huge now
  anyway, so there's no reason to keep it growing unnecessary

Of course, additional Authentication-HOWTO or sth like that seems to
be needed too.

It' just my first idea, don't shoot ;-)

cheers,
|Rafal 'Mimir' Szczesniak <mimir at spin.ict.pwr.wroc.pl>   |