(no subject)

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Fri Nov 9 13:09:02 GMT 2001

>The NetBIOS name resolution doesn't get in the way of using port
>445 at all.  The end result of name resolution--NBT or otherwise--is an
>IP address.
>
>Regarding the use of a DNS SRV RR... *That* I don't know.  How hard would
>it be to add?  Also, if you have the DNS name of the W2K.DC do you need
>to look up an SRV record?  I don't think you do.
>
>Chris -)-----

Remphasizing what Chris said - whether port 445 is used or not, name
resolution is optional.   On either port you can simply create a tcp
session and immediately start by sending SMBnegprot (without sending any of
the other RFC1001 frame types).     I tested this with some prototype
kernel smb client code a few months ago (and it sure saved the hassle of
writting a lot of RFC 1001 specific code in the kernel) against both Samba
and Win2K.

The second question, the DNS SRV RR if there isn't one there in Samba head
already - I was planning on writing a routine to do DC lookup that way.
This, and a companion DNS entry, were reasonably documented on the
Microsoft site and it sure would be nice to be able to have a fall back
mechanism that works better on multiple subnets than the existing 0x1C and
0x1D stuff and the mailslot domain broadcasts for locating the DCs ip
address.   Microsoft even put sample Linux & BSD code on their site to show
people how to do this.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin