Samba in Win2K Native Mode

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Fri Nov 9 09:50:02 GMT 2001

> On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> > Samba HEAD can run on port 445 via inetd.
>
> Right, but my point was that the NetBIOS name resolution
> mechanisms are still in place, no?  The last time I checked
> we could not connect locate a DC using DNS SRV RR.  Are you
> saying that this has changed?

Huh?  The NetBIOS name resolution doesn't get in the way of using port
445 at all.  The end result of name resolution--NBT or otherwise--is an
IP address.

Regarding the use of a DNS SRV RR... *That* I don't know.  How hard would
it be to add?  Also, if you have the DNS name of the W2K.DC do you need
to look up an SRV record?  I don't think you do.

Chris -)-----