Is there interst in ssl these days?

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Fri Nov 9 06:40:03 GMT 2001

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Jay Ts wrote:

> How about simply asking if anyone is using it?
>
> This thread was started off (offlist, actually) by me asking David
> Collier-Brown if he thought it was important to cover SSL in Using
> Samba.  I'm quite surprised it quickly turned into a discussion about
> whether the feature should be dropped! :-)

How I dealt with uit was to mention it was there, and only
supported by smbclient and Sharity.  Then explain the --with-ssl
option and move on.

> If it were up to me, I wouldn't remove support for much of anything
> without at least letting a few major versions go by containing a
> prominent warning that the feature may disappear, and thus allowing
> anyone who is depending on it to say something.

I don't think we should yank it as long as it works, however
I'm not opposed to simplifying the code by removing it if
someone can justify its existence.

Like I said, someone just sent me Lutz (?) just sent me patches
to get things working with OpenSSL, so there is some interest.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA  Team             jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org
 http://www.hp.com        Hewlett-Packard