Samba network recycle bin (fwd)

Rafal Szczesniak mimir at spin.ict.pwr.wroc.pl
Thu Nov 8 11:54:03 GMT 2001

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Simo Sorce wrote:
>
> > this is true also for Ms loacl recycle bin if i recall correctly, do
> > they have some sort of info connected to evry file in the recycle bin?
> > if not how do they restore the file in the correct dir? (it has been a
> > lot since I used any kind of recycle bin, so if I'm saying something
> > stupid, just ignore me)
>
> NT splits recyle bin files by user SID IIRC.

Yes, it does. I saw interesting recycle bin contents when NT was
a domain member controlled by Samba 2.0. I could read every single SID
of users logged on this box at least once :)

> The mirrors the
> directory srtucture.  I think you just get the last file deleted in case
> over name collisions (althought it could be more intelligent than
> that).

Don't know, but MS would say it's "intelligent" recycle bin if it wass
able to do such a smart things.

> cheers,jerry
>  www.samba.org              SAMBA  Team             jerry_at_samba.org
>  www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org
>  http://www.hp.com        Hewlett-Packard
>  --"I never saved anything for the swim back." Ethan Hawk in Gattaca--

cheers,
|Rafal 'Mimir' Szczesniak <mimir at spin.ict.pwr.wroc.pl>   |