Samba network recycle bin (fwd)

Mike Gerdts Michael.Gerdts at usa.alcatel.com
Thu Nov 8 10:38:02 GMT 2001

On Thu, 2001-11-08 at 11:40, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Tristan Ball wrote:
>
> > The recycle bin appears to have a flat namespace. This is likely to
> > cause a glut of files, and way to many name conflicts. I believe the
> > code would have to recreate the original directory structure inside
> > the recycle bin, and also rename files when conflicts occur.
>
> Good points.

Or how about not worrying about the original name at all and just
creating a structure similar to that used by web browser or proxy
caches?  A tdb would then be used to create the mapping between original
name, original directory, and revision information.  The name of the
file on disk does not matter, and as such no huge heirarchy of
directories is created.  A VFS module could present a directory
heirarchy to clients by looking into the tdb.  When a file is actually
requested, the cached file is given.

This would have the benefit of allowing a utility to be run once in a
while that purges all trash files that meet particular criteria (deleted
more than 2 days ago, *.obj, etc.)

Mike