WinXP and Samba 2.2.2 problem

Jay Ts jay at toltec.metran.cx
Wed Nov 7 14:38:01 GMT 2001

> I've disabled "sign and seal", and "require strong passwords" in the local
> security policy, but this doesn't help (with THIS problem)

Are you saying you changed the registry directly, or using the
policy editor?

> HOWEVER, on the second machine, I can only see traffic on ports 137, and
> 138. In fact, all I can see being sent when I try to log on is a NetBIOS
> name lookup request for my local domain name (which is successful BTW),
> followed by a connection to \MAILSLOT\NET\NETLOGON.

This, we assume, is what you've set up in smb.conf as your netlogon
share?

> The annoying this is that the second machine was reinstalled recently, and
> COULD logon.. but I must have changed some setting which has stopped
> everything from working!!!

Maybe, maybe not.  As I posted a bit earlier, I've seen an XP system
"go bad" and require the RequireSignOrSeal registry setting be modified
in order for it to continue to find the PDC.

Interesting that you are using profiles, because that was what I
was playing with lately, during the time when the XP system went
funny.  I don't see how that would have anything to do with it, though.
(?)

- Jay Ts
jayts at iname.com