SMB protocol help

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Tue Nov 6 14:49:02 GMT 2001

"Christopher R. Hertel" wrote:

> > {random} /var/home/derrell/samba/source/bin ---> smbclient -L merlin -U administrator
> > Password:
> :
> > Doing spnego session setup
> > Domain=[] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
> >
> >       Sharename      Type      Comment
> >       ---------      ----      -------
> >       IPC$           IPC       Remote IPC
> >       D$             Disk      Default share
> >       ADMIN$         Disk      Remote Admin
> >       C$             Disk      Default share
> >       S$             Disk
> >
> >       Server               Comment
> >       ---------            -------
> >
> >       Workgroup            Master
> >       ---------            -------
>
> So you are not getting browse list information from the Master Browser...
>
> > {random} /var/home/derrell/samba/source/bin ---> smbclient -L win95
> :
> > Password:
> >
> >       Sharename      Type      Comment
> >       ---------      ----      -------
> >       C              Disk
> >       IPC$           IPC       Remote Inter Process Communication
> >
> >       Server               Comment
> >       ---------            -------
> >       MERLIN
> >       WIN95                Winblows 95
> >
> >       Workgroup            Master
> >       ---------            -------
> >       WORKGROUP            MERLIN
>
> ...but you *are* getting the browse list when you talk to the Win95 system
> (which is running as a backup browser as shown by the <1E> name listed
> when you did the Adapter Status Query).
>
> Okay, this is where I know I've got lots to learn.  The authentication
> system moggles my bind.  Still, it seems that the W2K system is refusing
> to provide the browse list which suggests that it got the wrong
> authentication (not necessarily the wrong password: it may be the wrong
> username).
>
> That's my best guess right now.

I found a bug in our SPNEGO anonymous session code, and just needed to
test my fix a bit.  I see that you are brave enough to be running HEAD
:-).  Currently Win2k can't do browse syncronistaion with HEAD (from the
Win2k end at least).

Does that describe the symptoms correctly?

Chis, does that sound right?

I'll get the patch into the tree as soon as I test it.  For reference,
there is a wonderful little utility called 'browmon' in the Win2k
resource kit.  It allows you to do a browse sync *on demand*, which is
how I debuged this.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Samba Team member, Build Farm maintainer        abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net