SMB protocol help

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Tue Nov 6 08:42:23 GMT 2001

:
> Doing spnego session setup
> Domain=[] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
>
> 	Sharename      Type      Comment
> 	---------      ----      -------
> 	IPC$           IPC       Remote IPC
> 	D$             Disk      Default share
> 	ADMIN$         Disk      Remote Admin
> 	C$             Disk      Default share
> 	S$             Disk
>
> 	Server               Comment
> 	---------            -------
>
> 	Workgroup            Master
> 	---------            -------

So you are not getting browse list information from the Master Browser...

> {random} /var/home/derrell/samba/source/bin ---> smbclient -L win95
:
> Password:
>
> 	Sharename      Type      Comment
> 	---------      ----      -------
> 	C              Disk
> 	IPC$           IPC       Remote Inter Process Communication
>
> 	Server               Comment
> 	---------            -------
> 	MERLIN
> 	WIN95                Winblows 95
>
> 	Workgroup            Master
> 	---------            -------
> 	WORKGROUP            MERLIN

...but you *are* getting the browse list when you talk to the Win95 system
(which is running as a backup browser as shown by the <1E> name listed
when you did the Adapter Status Query).

Okay, this is where I know I've got lots to learn.  The authentication
system moggles my bind.  Still, it seems that the W2K system is refusing
to provide the browse list which suggests that it got the wrong
authentication (not necessarily the wrong password: it may be the wrong
username).

That's my best guess right now.

Chris -)-----