SMB protocol help

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Tue Nov 6 08:22:52 GMT 2001

> Hi.  I'm a seasoned protocols engineer, but new to SMB and Samba.  Two
> questions:
>
> 1. Where can I find SMB protocol specs?  (This must be a FAQ; I've
>    searched for a FAQ list but can not locate one.)

The closest thing to a spec for SMB is at:

  http://www.snia.org/English/Work_Groups/NAS/CIFS/WG_CIFS_Docs.html

No real "specification" exists as the protocol tends to morph a bit every
time Microsoft releases a new OS or service pack.

The "classic" underlying session is carried via the NetBIOS API, which has
been implemented on top of lots of "real" transports including TCP/IP.
See RFC1001 and RFC1002.  See also: http://www.ubiqx.org/cifs/ for a
description of how this all works.  Note that with W2K, Microsoft
introduced support for SMB over native TCP/IP on port 445...which is
differn't.

Regarding browsing, there are some good references in the Samba documents
collection.  I wrote up an overview as part of:

  http://www.linux-mag.com/2001-05/smb_01.html

Chris -)-----