New Interoperability Hope

Eric Lee Steadle esteadle at spinnakernet.com
Fri Nov 2 12:44:03 GMT 2001

Nope. IANALBICRALD (I am not a lawyer, but I can read a legal document)

I would interpret "make available" as simply documenting the protocol and that would be enough.

It appears to me that this text was written by Microsoft, not the DOJ. And Microsoft wrote it according to their existing software
practices -- document what they expect other people to use, don't document what they consider proprietary. What they document is
largely based on marketing decisions. Where it benefits MS to have a 3rd party do the work, they add protocols and APIs. Where they
want to drive and be in control, they keep it closed and undocumented. Nothing's changed.

Notice the exclusions:
Section 1 says MS doesn't have to document anything related to the things they do to protect their profits and their customers
security / integrity. Encryption and authentication systems -- that's a BIG exclusion.

The last paragraph (B) which says that they don't have to disclose remote administrative functionality / protocols for NT servers.
Another BIG exclusion -- you have to use MS tools to administer your MS box.

Microsoft is simply agreeing to do what they mostly do anyway. You have to admire the clever bastards.

ERX