getting local groups/aliases via rpc?

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Thu Nov 1 14:43:02 GMT 2001

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 11:19:45AM -0800, Ben Johnson wrote:

> I am using the 2.2.2 sources for my experimentation so far and it looks
> like get_samr_query_usergroups is not implemented there.  I'm hoping for
> excellent stability when I'm done so I've steered clear so far, but I'll
> start looking into CVS.  Thanks a lot for your help.

Ben, a group list is also available in the response to a sam logon
request.  I recently added a "samlogon" command to rpcclient for
testing purposes.  If you check out the HEAD version of Samba you
will find it there.  Winding up the debuglevel to 10 you can see
te list of groups returned in the num_groups2 and an array of gids
immediately after this field in the net_io_r_ram_logon structure.

Interestingly enough the get user groups rpc command does not return
all windows 2000 groups (i.e universal groups) the user is a member
of so you can get in to trouble that way.

Tim.