printing, locking, etc in 2.2.0

Neil Hoggarth neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 23 16:04:29 GMT 2001

Jeremy wrote:

> As it's really important for Samba to provide completely
> reliable file & print service, I'd like to postpone shipping
> 2.2.1 for a little, until several people have tested this code
> in larger environments (ie. several hundred simultaneous
> users at least - maybe a NetBench run from Herb also).

I think that your caution here is prudent, unfortunately.

This needs testing by other sites, to make sure that I'm not doing
something dumb, but having run the new version throughout today I
would say that the overheads are distinctly noticeable in my setup. I
have a Sun Ultra 1/140, running Solaris 2.6, and usage today peaked at
about 140 simultaneous clients / about 2500 locks. The system was
noticeably slow and the load average reported by "top" was on the high
side, and fluctuated wildly throughout the day. At some points during
the day we also experienced intermittent failure of Windows 9x domain
logins, apparently due to a timeout.

The server is under-specified for the job that it does, and is due for
replacement anyway, but my clear feeling was that it didn't cope with
the load anything like as well as when running the 2.2 code without
exhaustive log cleanups.

On the plus side: the changes do appear to thoroughly fix the phantom
lock problem.

Regards,
--
Neil Hoggarth                                 Departmental Computer Officer
<neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk>                   Laboratory of Physiology