Problem, possibly new for 2.2.0, with lmhosts

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Wed May 23 15:41:45 GMT 2001

Steve Langasek wrote:
> But the *DNS server* that you're running on your machine does not use
> /etc/hosts when responding to DNS requests from other machines.  Clients on
> the local machine use /etc/hosts; nothing else does.

	That makes sense, but if I say "hosts: files dns" in
	my /etc/nsswitch.conf, I do expect everything that
	uses name service to look in files first, then dns.

	I expected the same from name resolve order: if I
	say "name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast"
	I expect all clients [see next para] of the service
	to look in lmhosts, then the hosts file, then wins
	and finally broadcast.

	From what you said, only the samba server uses this, and
	only when it is acting as a client... to what???  Does
	this only apply to smbclient?

	I'm puzzled about two things
	1) what the sense of "samba as a client" means, and
	2) why it was designed to distinguish these cases.

	Can you help?

> If someone were going to implement this, I would suggest using a separate
> config file in $(sysconfdir) that gets pulled into wins.dat by nmbd on startup
> (with an appropriate flag to indicate the entries are static).  This ensures
> that the static entries survive events such as corruption of wins.dat or the
> occasional rogue deletion by an administrator.

	And that part I do get (;-))

--dave (dinosaur programmer & multician) c-b
Performance & Engineering Team | some people and astonish the rest.
Americas Customer Engineering  |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com