printing, locking, etc in 2.2.0

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Wed May 23 09:54:55 GMT 2001

Neil Hoggarth wrote:

> On Wed, 23 May 2001, Neil Hoggarth wrote:
>
> > I checked out 2.2 this morning (cvs update at about 06:00 GMT) and
> > rebuilt. Unfortunately the new build has problems - it is turning
> > down most connections with a "make_connection(494) too many
> > connections - rejected" log message.
>
> Following up on myself: this might been premature.
>
> I've just got a bunch of "too many connections - rejected" problems with
> my previously working build of smbd, so the problem might not be with
> the new lock cleaning code. I've now restarted Samba again, using this
> morning's build of 2.2 CVS, having cleared out the contents of my lock
> directory.

My installation of last nights CVS, plus my pam patch (irrelevent for
this particular code path) also shows:

May 23 09:44:42 jessie smbd[15437]: art14 (192.168.29.10) closed
connection to service webbc
May 23 09:44:42 jessie smbd[15417]: too many connections - rejected

My theroy is that process 15437 is locking at least part of
connections.tdb, and that this code in connections.c:claim_connection()
is then failing:

	if (tdb_store(tdb, kbuf, dbuf, TDB_REPLACE) != 0)
		ret = False;

Can this happen?  Should it be fixed?  Note that we have never had
connection limits at our site.  In any case, it has only happend once
(that I have seen), and is certainly not critical.

abartlet at pcug.org.au