browse masters

synaptic at onthe.net.au synaptic at onthe.net.au
Tue May 22 00:30:39 GMT 2001

<snip>
> > I am following up on a thread from e-smith.org regarding browse masters
> > and who gets to win. the e-smith server is a server primarily aimed at
> > intergration with windows clients.
>
> Interesting.
>
> > We are currently getting lots of strange happenings with Win 2000.
> > taking over the browse functions on the network. even when
> > OS=65+
> > It is the PDC and the preffered browser.
>
> I think we would have to see some packet traces to know what's going on.
<snip>

What exactly do you need?

> > Are Microsoft using a new system to decide election?
>
> They can't retrofit the older systems, though I suppose they could set up
> W2K so that it always wins elections over NT boxes.

This is what i am thinking. It would then make it REALLY hard to hang on
to your "old NT4 server" [sceptical aren't I]

> > How can you push it down. As most e-smith users acctually use the server
> > as their PDC with NO windows server on the network.
>
> My guess is that you'd have to find a registry setting or something.

the registry settings have been changed to browse master = never.
This also happens with some WIN98se machines as well. This is not an
isolted incident it seems to be happening to quiet alot of users. As a
matter of interest WIn98se often knocks out a NT4 PDC. But can be beaten
into submission from the registry.

Thanks
Robert