smbd/password.c:find_connect_pdc() machine password timeout

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Tue May 22 17:51:56 GMT 2001

On Mon, 21 May 2001 21:13:02 Tim Potter wrote:

> Gerald or Jeremy, I was wondering why the
> particular value of 3600 for the machine
> password timeout in find_connect_pdc()?
>
> I would have thought that this timeout is a
> little large.

I agree.  It was an arbirtrary number Jeremy picked.

> Replication of machine accounts is supposed to
> happen immediately after a machine account password
> has been changed, or at the next replication pulse
> (whichever is the sooner (-:).  A network which
> takes more than an hour to replicate immediately
> seems to be a little broken to me.

This is how it is supposed to work.  However, the bug
I found at HP indicated that the replication wasn't
taking place immediately.  Also, remember that the
replication pulse is configurable on the DC.  It may be
set to longer than the default of 10 minutes (?) to workaround
slow links....48 hours max I think.

Cheers, jerry