patch for samba-2.0.7/source/source/lib/bitmap.c (PATCH#96)

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Tue May 22 15:13:12 GMT 2001

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 11:14:32PM +0900, Kenichi Okuyama wrote:

> I don't really know if this point is really angels dancing on a
> pinhead or not. It's simply that I found it, so I report it. Bitmap
> treatment routine are quite independent from rest of the parts, and
> easy to test independently.
>
> Since so, even if gain was 0.1%, I thought it worth.

I do understand your point, as every speedup is worth
looking at. The Linux kernel is an excellent example
of this.

However, at some stage the tradeoff is having simple
code that is easy to understand and modify. If the
speedup is only 0.1% in a part of the code that is
not used much, and it makes the code harder to understand,
then I don't think it's worth it (IMHO).

Jeremy.