patch for samba-2.0.7/source/source/lib/bitmap.c (PATCH#96)

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Mon May 21 16:26:59 GMT 2001

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 06:49:39AM -0700, okuyamak at dd.iij4u.or.jp wrote:

> 1) on 2.0.7 bitmaps took about 2% of CPU usage of smbd. I don't know
>   about 2.2.0. What I found was that it's not quite nessasary to use
>   bitmap.
>
> 2) I had several versions of bitmap.c, and best one was
>    unmeasurable( I mean, 0% was result, though it did pass the point
>    ).
>
>    I already don't remember which one is this patch, but I remember
>    that using ffs() ( glibc function ) version instead of
>    find_clear_bit() was the fastest, for it was being inlined by
>    gcc, into machine specific instructions.

But how much of the overall time of Samba is spent in
that code ? That's what Andrew meant when asking for profile
information.

Without knowing how much *overall* time is spent in that
code and knowing that this is where the bottleneck is,
all this is reducing the number of angels dancing on a
pinhead....

Jeremy.