Help Please

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Mon May 21 13:39:25 GMT 2001

Kenichi,

> Before going any far, Why is you mail having reply-to which tries to
> force reply to reach only to you? I think you need to look into your
> mail environment....
>
> # I can't give you any more hint because your mailer does not
> # seems to set X-Mailer header..

How about we agree that I don't give you any hints about what color
wallpaper you should use and you don't give me any hints on
configuring my mailer. OK?

> AT> We run Samba under insure to catch memory leaks. If you know of a
> AT> memory leak then point it out rather than just sending such crap to
> AT> the mailing lists.
>
> I did. Look at old Mail and patch lists.

None of the patches from you in samba-patches is for a memory leak. If
you have a patch for a memory leak then please send it in.

> I think continuing current work without any re-design IS INSANE.

Propose a specific design. Do a prototype. Do *SOMETHING* that will
convince me that your ideas have some worth. Saying vague stuff about
how much better things would be if only we followed some design that
you have only in your head doesn't help.

I'm perfectly happy to completely redesign Samba if I'm given good
reasons and some proof of concept.

As for internationalisation, I am trying to do something about it
rather than just ranting on a mailing list. As you may have noticed
the head branch now does unicode on the wire. The next step is to
convert to utf-8 internally, and add a string conversion layer in the
VFS code. I am working on that with Iverg. We should have *full*
support for all languages with just a few weeks work - watch for it
over the next month or two (assuming I get some time to put into it).

> You should stop development for several month(Now that you added
> even more code, it's not just 6 month, we need more). Annouce that
> you stopped. And ask for fix of basic structure. So that Samba can
> re-start growing into faster speed, and Intenationalizations.

I think that you have very little understanding of how free software
is developed. The whole development model doesn't work unless it can
be incremental. Projects that attempt the "big redesign" that you do
with large teams of programmers on proprietry projects invariably fail
in the free software world.

The fact is that 90% of Samba is coded by about 5 people. A further
dozen or so people make significant code contributions. All those
people do their coding in whatever time they can scrape together,
while also working on lots of other projects, meeting deadlines and
generally living their lives.

It is just not possible to do the "stop everything for 6 months and
have a big think" plan.  There is lots of stuff in Samba that is badly
designed. I know that and I want to fix it, but it *must* be fixed
incrementally because the free software development model just doesn't
support anything else without starting a new project. A large project
that attempted it would die.

so, send a design, do a prototype, send patches. Anything else is just
hot air.

Cheers, Tridge