Problem with Turkish character share names -- how to modify?

Deniz Akkus Kanca deniz at arayan.com
Sun May 20 01:01:17 GMT 2001

Hello,

I have a problem with Turkish character share names. Here is a description
of the problem:

Capital letters        Corresponding minuscule letters
Capital I (dotless i) => small dotless i (\215)
Dotted Capital i (\230) => i

Problem occurs when using the Turkish codepages.
A share is created (hulusi) that contains a small dotted i.
Trying to reach this share gives an error, stating that the share cannot be
reached.

According to the logs, this is what happens:

1. The share being requested gets sent as "HULUSI"
2. Samba tries to find share "hulus\215" and states that it can't be found.

Problem seems to be in the naming of the share being requested -- the
request should have come for either "hulusi" or for "HULUS\230" .

I am at a loss as to where to go looking for the source of the problem. Is
it the windows world that sends the request incorrectly (as HULUSI)? Or is
it samba that does an incomplete transformation on "hulusi" into "HULUSI"
when the codepages are Turkish?

Other Turkish characters without this confusing issue such as
    Capital U umlaut => minuscule u umlaut
etc. work fine in shares.

Please help!!
Deniz