(Samba-)NBNS reboot => Samba clients do not reregister

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sat May 19 09:14:26 GMT 2001

Feature or bug?

Our NBNS is running from SAMBA_2_2 cvs and works very well ;)

But sometimes that machine is rebooted (sad story, but OT). For some reasons
that may not be valid anymore, I am automatically deleting wins.dat before
starting the NBNS (In the past Samba was always detecting corruption in the
wins.dat). This means that the NBNS starts with a clean database.

Now M$ OSes do reregister within the day, but some Samba boxes do not (those
are running 2.0.x, can't say anything about 2.2.x clients). Maybe this has to
do with Samba clients taking the ttl too seriously and witing until it exires
to reregister, or M$ not taking ttls into account at all. In order to have
those Samba machines reregistered in the NBNS we have to restart Samba there.

Any ideas?

Regards, Axel.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de