codepages ... Esp in the packaging/RedHat spec file

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Thu May 17 22:59:10 GMT 2001

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> OK, the last comment from John Terpstra was that the code pages themselves
> could go in /usr/share/samba, but that the source files should still go in
> /etc/samba/codepages.

> I cannot understand this, and wonder what the reason for this might be.

This puzzled me, too.  FHS says /etc is for configuration files.  I've never
had occasion to edit the codepage source, and I don't understand why anyone
would ever need to except to fix a bug.  If they /are/ configuration files
in some sense, then don't the code pages themselves need to go in /var rather
than /usr?

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer