MS-DFS root dir access hangs if one ore more referred servers aredown

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Wed May 16 15:07:24 GMT 2001

"John E. Malmberg" wrote:
> The desktop.ini is part of the Windows Explorer, and is
> present on versions of Windows prior to "Active Desktop"
>
> Windows knows that you never want to actually see the file
> so it will not display it, not even in a command session.
>
> It is apparently only documented in some manuals for
> extending the windows shell.
>
> I do not know any way of disabling the search.
>
> I have not fully investigated what it can be used for,
> but was hoping to use it to help integrate SAMBA with Windows.

	Wild-ass suggestion: could we have an option to
	provide a location for such files, so that
	when *#$%@exploder starts by searching every
	directory for one, it always gets and answer
	from Samba?

--dave
Performance & Engineering Team | some people and astonish the rest.
Americas Customer Engineering  |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com