Samba caching directory handles? (Writes to incorrect home dir)

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Tue May 15 14:18:58 GMT 2001

Andrew Tridgell wrote:
> don't use \\server\homes, use \\server\USERNAME instead. NT caches
> connections by share name. It does this even *after* the user logs off
> the client. You can only tell its happening by looking in smbstatus
> and seeing that the client has kept the connection open.
>
> I wonder, should we bight the bullet and finally get rid of
> \\server\homes ? It will break a lot of systems, but it will also save
> a lot of anguish.

	Announce the change and then phase it out over N versions.

	I'd suggest
	2.1	announce it's doomed, add warning mesage
		to log if it's used
	2.2	require a specific new option, refer
		users to a how-to on how not to (;-))
	2.3	require --with-homes and the new option
	2.4	ditto
	2.5	drop --with-homes
	2.6 	ditto

	This assumes 2.even are production releases, 2.odd
	are development releases, and you want maximum notice
	to users. Minimum would require --with-homes in 2.1.x

--dave
Performance & Engineering Team | some people and astonish the rest.
Americas Customer Engineering  |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com