Samba caching directory handles? (Writes to incorrect home dir)

James Sutherland jas88 at cam.ac.uk
Tue May 15 14:02:52 GMT 2001

On Tue, 15 May 2001, Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> > Yes - having this "feature" present but (subtly) broken is MUCH worse than
> > not having it in the first place, IMO.
>
> the feature wasn't broken when it initially went in. MS added their
> "cache by share name" quite recently. Unfortunately some Samba users
> now depend on the current behaviour.

Ah - behaviour which is now broken. Thanks, MS...

Question: Which clients will have this problem? Are there any clients
which may encounter this problem but do not support DFS?

If we can tell server-side whether the client supports DFS, just send a
DFS redirect: if it's too old to support DFS, hopefully it's also too old
to have this sharename caching "feature"??

James.
--
"Our attitude with TCP/IP is, `Hey, we'll do it, but don't make a big
system, because we can't fix it if it breaks -- nobody can.'"

"TCP/IP is OK if you've got a little informal club, and it doesn't make
any difference if it takes a while to fix it."
		-- Ken Olson, in Digital News, 1988