Samba caching directory handles? (Writes to incorrect home dir)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Tue May 15 13:04:11 GMT 2001

Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> Andrew Tridgell wrote:
> >
> > > Note also that there are no errors being reported, just mysteriously
> > > appering files.  What I am wondering is if somthing is keeping the
> > > directory open, and if samba is then accidently pulling this out of the
> > > 'cache', and creating a new file in it.
> >
> > The only possibility would be in the stat cache code. Try
> > "stat cache = no" and see if it helps. I'm skeptical though.
>
> Thats where I think it might be, or somthing similar.  Remember that its
> compiled --with-vfs (as all RedHat RPMS are).

Also, the home directories are mode 0700, so other users simply should
not be able to get to them.

The other possiblity is that its just users not logging out properly.

The other thing is that its word and excel files that appear, presumably
becouse this is a WinNT site with plenty of students doing work in MS
Office, but could it be somthing to do with he way we have to handle
oplocks in those cases?

In any case, I have most of the details second-hand, and it looks like
being a rather difficult to debug.  I'll see what I can get in the way
of actual evidence.  (Hopefully a file with the wrong owner in a users
home dir, with records to show who it belonged to, but that might be
asking a bit much).

Thanks for all the help,

abartlet at pcug.org.au