Samba caching directory handles? (Writes to incorrect home dir)

Michael Gerdts Michael.Gerdts at usa.alcatel.com
Tue May 15 12:45:22 GMT 2001

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 01:23:55PM +0100, James Sutherland wrote:
> It is: Windows caches the connection even after you log out. Stupid,
> broken and insecure, but unless you're planning to send Microsoft a patch
> to fix it, I think we're stuck with it :-)

Is there any way to tell from the client whether the connection is still
cached?  I have noticed that from a cmd window, I can do

   c:\> net use
   New connections will not be remembered

   Status	Local	Remote			Network

   Disconnected	F:	\\smbserver\mgerdts	Microsoft Windows Network
   OK		H:	\\ntserver\mgerdts$	Microsoft Windows Network

If I run "net use \\smbserver\mgerdts /delete", the F: map goes away.  Is
it still cached at this point?

Mike