Samba caching directory handles? (Writes to incorrect home dir)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Tue May 15 12:25:55 GMT 2001

Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> > Note also that there are no errors being reported, just mysteriously
> > appering files.  What I am wondering is if somthing is keeping the
> > directory open, and if samba is then accidently pulling this out of the
> > 'cache', and creating a new file in it.
>
> The only possibility would be in the stat cache code. Try
> "stat cache = no" and see if it helps. I'm skeptical though.

Thats where I think it might be, or somthing similar.  Remember that its
compiled --with-vfs (as all RedHat RPMS are).

> > Also, changing how this works is not an option - we have a fairly large
> > number of users, and this is how they expect it to work.  We have them
> > trained...
>
> they can't learn to use \\server\USERNAME ?

Its hardcoded into a logon applet we have distributed all over the
place, and while I have the souce it will be a pain to change.  NT
restrictions prevent users from mapping drives manualy.

abartlet at pcug.org.au