Samba caching directory handles? (Writes to incorrect home dir)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Tue May 15 12:19:41 GMT 2001

Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> > What I am wondering is if samba does any caching of directory handles or
> > the like, and whether samba could be mis-translating //servername/homes
> > to the wrong user, using the directory from a previous user.  Is this at
> > all possible?
>
> don't use \\server\homes, use \\server\USERNAME instead. NT caches
> connections by share name. It does this even *after* the user logs off
> the client. You can only tell its happening by looking in smbstatus
> and seeing that the client has kept the connection open.

Even after we invalidate the vuid and without another session setup?
The people who were reporting this inidcated that the 'last' output
kindly provided by samba's utmp support indicated that the user was NOT
logged on at the time the files were created.

We also NTP sync all the servers and clients, so I know the times should
be correct.

abartlet at pcug.org.au