Samba caching directory handles? (Writes to incorrect home dir)

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Tue May 15 12:06:07 GMT 2001

> What I am wondering is if samba does any caching of directory handles or
> the like, and whether samba could be mis-translating //servername/homes
> to the wrong user, using the directory from a previous user.  Is this at
> all possible?

don't use \\server\homes, use \\server\USERNAME instead. NT caches
connections by share name. It does this even *after* the user logs off
the client. You can only tell its happening by looking in smbstatus
and seeing that the client has kept the connection open.

I wonder, should we bight the bullet and finally get rid of
\\server\homes ? It will break a lot of systems, but it will also save
a lot of anguish.