Samba caching directory handles? (Writes to incorrect home dir)

James Sutherland jas88 at cam.ac.uk
Tue May 15 11:37:46 GMT 2001

On Tue, 15 May 2001, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> What I am wondering is if samba does any caching of directory handles or
> the like, and whether samba could be mis-translating //servername/homes
> to the wrong user, using the directory from a previous user.  Is this at
> all possible?

IIRC, Windows does this: when a new user logs on, it finds a cached
"\\servername\homes" connection, and continues to use that. ISTR there's a
caveat about this in the docs - something along the lines of "don't use
\\servername\home for a home directory mapped to /home/%U because Windows
will cache the first user's \\server\home and reuse it for the next user"?

Can you switch to something like \\server\home\username as the home
directory? This will be a nuisance for users - everything becomes
"H:\username" instead of "H:\" - but at least their home directories will
be private again! Alternatively, perhaps you could use \\server\username -
so each user has a different sharename for their home directory?

James.
--
"Our attitude with TCP/IP is, `Hey, we'll do it, but don't make a big
system, because we can't fix it if it breaks -- nobody can.'"

"TCP/IP is OK if you've got a little informal club, and it doesn't make
any difference if it takes a while to fix it."
		-- Ken Olson, in Digital News, 1988