e: Problem to use VFS modules

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon May 14 12:40:09 GMT 2001

Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> Why?  Don't we install the library at `make install' time?  All you
> have to do is use this command instead of the one that copies the
> shared library to libdir.

Sigh...  In the Real World, people build packages from the build
tree and install those packages.  Only RPM and DPKG rely on the
"install in a different directory and make an image from that"
paradigm, which has definite problems (disk space usage is one)

> Well, there's the issue of adjusting the permission of the installed
> shared library (because cp isn't guarantee to preserve permissions),
> and creating the soft-links so that the SONAME and the .so point to
> the actual shared library.

This can be done by the packager just as easily as by the makefile/
install script.  (Easier, in fact)

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com