printing, locking, etc in 2.2.0

Dmitry Melekhov dm at belkam.com
Sat May 12 11:14:44 GMT 2001

Hello!

>> When I first installed 2.2.0, we seemed to get bitten by a bug (quotas
>> over NFS), since fixed, that caused smbd to SEGV and vanish.  But it left
>> behind some apparently locked files, and subsequent attempts by the user
>> (on a new smbd, of course) to access their files failed.  It seemed
unable
>> to break the lock despite (or because of?) the original process having
>> gone.
>>
>> OK, that particular quota bug has since been fixed.  But the example
>> suggests a residual problem with unbreakable locks when an smbd has
>> vanished into a "shouldn't happen" hole...
>
>We don't use lock files. These may be dead entries in the
>lock database, but these will get deleted once other smbds
>notice the pids are dead.

No. They are not deleted, as you see. btw, what is tdb? :) imho, will be
good
to have tool which allow administrator to delete locks in case of problems
(of course, this bug must be solved :) )

>I'll review the code though just to be sure.

Please! This is one of reasons why I don't use 2.2 in production

Wire connection and Windows reinstallation senior engineer
Dmitry Melekhov
http://www.belkam.com/~dm
2:5050/11.23 at fidonet