printing in 2.2.0

Damian Ivereigh damian at cisco.com
Sat May 12 06:30:58 GMT 2001

Dmitry Melekhov wrote:

> Damian Ivereigh wrote:
>
> > There are two main places this happens:-
> >
> > 1) When looking up printer, driver and forms info it has to troll
> > through the entire ntdrivers.tdb file
>
> I think that main problem is here, becase the more drivers I install, the
> slower printer properties works.
> I.e. I have 6 printers in printcap, when I download driver for one printer all
> is OK, when download driver (or alternate driver)
> for second printer printer properties works slower  , etc...

I am surprised this is already hitting you at 6 printers. I would have
though you would need to get to about 30 or so. There may yet be
something special to Solaris.

What happens when you try this under Linux?

To my mind it often gets all the printer info when it doesn't actually
need it all, so hopefully there could be some relatively quick fixups.
If your interested most of the code is in printing/ntprinting.c

> > 2) When looking for queue information (i.e. what jobs are in each
> > queue) it has to troll through all the jobs in printing.tdb looking
> > for jobs for that particular printer.
> >

> > To make matters worse as it reads each key it locks and unlocks the
> > record, on most OS's this is quite expensive.
> >
> > For the job queue info, you can reduce the load considerably if you
> > are prepared to live without job queue info. Just change your lpq
> > command entry in smb.conf to something like:-
> >
> > lpq command = echo 'no entries'
> >
> > and delete printing.tdb
> >

> This change nothing in my case.

I think this will only become apparent when you have a large number of
clients connecting to you and there are a significant number of jobs
in the queue.

Damian

--
Damian Ivereigh