RH7.1 vs RH7.0 with Samba 2.2

Justin D Davis justindd at iastate.edu
Sat May 12 03:56:04 GMT 2001

I found myself with an interesting problem.  My audiotron Networked MP3
player refuses to give up on attempting to search a share that is
browseable which it does not have access to.  This is the reason why I had
to create a "read list" for the music share, note that it has one fewer
entries than does the valid users list.  If we could fix whatever bug is
causing this.....that would likely solve my problem below.....anyway

Here is the problem...one of the directories inside the music share is
called mp3 (relevant only to the explanation, the specific name is
insignificant).

On RH7.0 things work as one would expect.  The "computer" users work as
they should and the audiotron finds the music share but gives up looking
when the share is empty.  On RH 7.1 however, the audiotron finds something
it thinks has a title of "mp3" but when it tries to play it, it gives an
error.  If I comment out the music share, the "mp3" title which has
appeared when it should not have, will disappear.

I guess maybe I shouldn't have put 2.2 on RH7.1....probably should have
stuck with 2.0.9
Thanks for any suggestions to this one (Other than debug level 10, I don't
know my way around the source to interpret that, but if someone requests my
log file I'd be more than happy to send a level 10 to help you diagnose the
problem)

Thanks for any help!
JD

smb.conf file:

[global]
    workgroup = davis
    netbios name = efarmer
    domain admin users = root, justindd
    logon drive = u:
    logon home = \\%L\%U\homedrv
    hosts allow = 192.186.1. 127.0.0.1
    server string = Samba Server
    printing = lprng
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 0
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    interfaces = 192.168.1.100/24
    remote announce = 192.168.1.255
    domain logons = yes
    dns proxy = no

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writable = yes

  [netlogon]
    comment = Network Logon Service
    path = /home/netlogon
    guest ok = yes
    writable = no
    browseable = no
    share modes = no

#note -- the <secret userid of audiotron> is a userid in my file
#I replaced it here for obvious reasons
[audiotron]
path =/audiotron
valid users = @audiotron, <secret userid of audiotron>