[freetds] Re: FreeTDS Samba (fwd)

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Fri May 11 22:35:36 GMT 2001

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Gerald Carter wrote:

> Nevermind. I found it.

> > btw...what is a "postmodern programmer"?

> I still want an answer to this one though :-)

A Google search for this one also gets you to the right spot. <grin>

<http://www.perl.com/pub/1999/03/pm.html> points to a speech Larry Wall gave
at Linux World in March of 1999, in which he presents his proof-by-anecdote
that Perl is the world's first postmodern programming language.  The
humanities student in me was so tickled by this that I concluded that, if
Perl's philosophy (and Larry's philosophy) make it a postmodern programming
language, then by extension I must be a postmodern programmer; not because I
write in Perl (which I do from time to time), but because whatever language I
program in, I don't feel bound to conventional programming modes just because
they're convention, and I'm not hung up on originality.  There's nothing wrong
with using a little bit of everything -- and doing a little bit of everything
-- in the code, so long as it gets you where you want to go in the end.

So I liked the idea so much, I made it a sig.  And hopefully, it's tricked a
few people over the years to read some of Larry Wall's edifying prose on the
subject of Open Source. :)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer