smbd 2.2.0; Solaris; performance woes?

David Lee T.D.Lee at durham.ac.uk
Fri May 11 14:25:54 GMT 2001

On Thu, 10 May 2001, David Lee wrote:

> Anyone else got any experience of upgrading from 2.0.7 to 2.2.0 on a large
> server (we generally run with 500-700 simultaneous users)?  We have hit
> some severe performance problems.
>
> [...]
>
> On our two CPU Sun E-450, the old load was typically 1.3 to 2.6 ; the new
> load was typically always over 2, sometimes over 4, and sometimes much
> higher...

A follow-up to my own question.  Might this load be due to come contention
of these ~600 smbd processes onto the various ".tdb" files (and that
general mechanism) introduced at 2.2.0?

This is pure speculation at present, of course.  Anyone got any hints on
how to begin to monitor this (even if only to disprove the idea)?

(Although I have, sadly, retreated to 2.0.7 on the main fileserver, we
still have three smaller, but significant fileservers (40-80 smbd
processes each) on the new 2.2.0 version.)