mm@suse.de: Re: printing in 2.2.0

Matthias Meinecke mm at suse.de
Fri May 11 14:01:10 GMT 2001

Quoting Michael Gerdts (Michael.Gerdts at usa.alcatel.com) on Fri, May 11, 2001 at 09:27:22AM -0400:
> On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 03:16:01PM +0200, Matthias Meinecke wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have some printing problems with 2.2.0.
> > Samba was installed on a Solaris 2.8 server and a SuSE Linux 7.1
> > server. In both cases I got nearly the same effects: selecting a printer
> > is realy slow and cpu usage is high for smbd.
> > 250 printers are connected to the solaris 2.8 server. if you open about 4
> > or 5 printer in one minute cpu goes up to 100%.
>
> Are you sure that this is a samba issue and not a Solaris issue?  You may

I am sure, solaris and linux show the same effects.

> want to turn process accounting on (see acct(1M)) to see if the processor
> is being used by smbd, in.lpd, lpsched, etc.  Also, with that number of
> queues, if you do not have enough RAM to cache all directory entries and
> lots of files in /var/spool/print you may be getting killed by file system
> I/O.
>
> Without the interaction of Samba, our old print server, an Ultra 2 with (I
> think) 128 MB of RAM carried a constant load of around 3.5 and was quite

the solaris machine has 1024 MB RAM and only about 512 MB was used
when cpu usage goes up to 100%.

> unresponsive to interactive users.  Upgrading to 384 MB of RAM reduced the
> load and made it much more responsive.  Upgrading to a Netra T1 with 512 MB
> of RAM made the load drop to about .25 and you cannot tell that anything is
> happening on it.
>
> Mike

Matthias

--
Dr. Matthias Meinecke      email: mm at suse.de      Phone: +49-89-42769-0 |
SuSE Linux Solutions AG,  Stahlgruberring 28,  D-81829 München, Germany |